I purchased a 9-week-outdated kitten from a pet retailer, and he had diarrhea from the beginning. I took him to the vet with stool samples, they usually gave him Drontal for worms. The vet by no means discovered something within the samples however gave me Metronidazole 50mg/ml suspension simply in case.
The drugs didn’t assist in order that they put him on Hill’s Prescription Diet i/d and canned pumpkin. When that didn’t work, they put him on Hill’s Prescription Diet d/d and needed to attend 4 weeks to see if it helped. A few occasions, his stool was just a little bit extra fashioned; I noticed some crimson spots in some stool and I believe it was from my kitten however can’t make sure as a result of I’ve different cats. If this d/d doesn’t assist what may very well be unsuitable with him and what can I do for him seeing as my vet can’t ever discover something in his stool?
So many kittens at shelters and humane societies are in want of loving properties that I hope you undertake your subsequent cat from them. In my expertise, kittens bought from pet shops are hardly ever in good well being, and issues like persistent kitten diarrhea you describe usually are not unusual. Kittens usually have diarrhea from both a parasite drawback or a dietary drawback. (Click every for extra data.)
- Hookworms and roundworms (each lengthy, white worms that harm the intestines) are widespread parasites in cats. I doubt that your cat has these, and the Drontal your vet prescribed is efficient towards hookworms and roundworms and would have handled them.
- Tritrichomonas is a protozoan parasite that may trigger persistent diarrhea in kittens. I believe your cat needs to be examined for this parasite.
- Giardia is a protozoan parasite that may trigger diarrhea in kittens. Metronidazole is often efficient towards this parasite (though resistance is changing into extra widespread). Your cat didn’t reply to metronidazole, and I believe that this isn’t the issue both. Still, I might have your vet run a giardia ELISA take a look at to make certain. This is a extra exact take a look at to detect the presence of giardia.
- Coccidiosis or coccidia is a standard parasitic an infection in cats that could cause watery diarrhea, generally with just a little blood (presumably the crimson spots you’re seeing within the stool) in kittens. It is particularly widespread in cats that come from pet shops.
Kitten Health Diagnosis
I believe your cat has some sort of parasitic or infectious diarrhea. It is often simply detected in a stool pattern, nevertheless, and the stool samples you submitted got here again unfavourable. Still, you would possibly wish to talk about along with your vet the choice of treating this situation, to see if the kitten responds.
We used to make use of a drug referred to as Albon to deal with, which required a 14 day course of remedy, nevertheless, there are newer medication resembling Ponazuril that solely require one or two doses. Ponazuril just isn’t permitted to be used in cats, nevertheless. It must be formulated by a compounding formulary right into a liquid that’s the correct energy.
The greatest solution to diagnose these infectious causes of diarrhea is by a take a look at referred to as a fecal PCR take a look at. This very delicate take a look at detects minute quantities of DNA from these organisms. Have your vet run this take a look at and prescribe particular remedy based mostly on the take a look at outcomes. If every thing checks unfavourable, it’s possible you’ll merely should strive quite a lot of diets till you discover one which causes the firmest stool.
Diet can assist counter the results of diarrhea for cats with meals allergy symptoms or cats with digestive points.
- Hill’s Prescription Diet i/d is a extremely digestible weight loss plan that’s designed for cats with digestive points. It’s a really nutritious weight loss plan and can even assist development in kittens, so a dietary trial with this weight loss plan was cheap.
- Canned pumpkin provides just a little fiber to the meals, within the hopes of firming up the stool.
- Hill’s d/d is a hypoallergenic weight loss plan designed for cats with meals allergy.
Several kittens in my follow have had persistent diarrhea that examined unfavourable on each take a look at I ran. These kittens merely “outgrew” their diarrhea as they received older, and we by no means decided the reason for the diarrhea.